CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Look You're a Cow


Someone once told me his memory was like a colander and mine is like a metal box. Of course, if he happens to read this I'm sure he wouldn't remember that he said that.

Michael (not the one who made the comparison) also seems to get a little frustrated by my memory. Back in the winter of 1996 he was joking around with my fleece glove on my belly and said, "Look you're a cow." I have no clue how many times I have reminded him of that, "At least I didn't call you a cow."

Now I actually do feel like a cow. If the regular nursing isn't enough to make someone feel that way, utilization of the pump(s) is. Yes, that's plural... to maximize pumping efficiency some of the pumps have a dual capacity. You simply pull from both sides at the same time. Kudos to all those women who have twins. Triplets just sounds insane!

Good news is, the milk seems to be working out well for Leah's growth. We had another pediatrician appointment this morning. Leah weighed in at 8 lb 11 oz.

Here's a quick size reference using the highly calibrated hippo mat comparison...

Leah at 1/2 week:


Leah at 4 1/2 weeks:
As we note from the pictures above, Leah is now almost an entire hippo mouth in size.

This puts her in the 40 th percentile for weight. This entire growth percentile humors me, after all some babies are born larger than Leah is now. I've heard there is comparison (competition/bragging) for these size percentiles throughout childhood. Personally I think it would be more interesting to plot percentage of growth over time instead of an absolute size scale. How is the daughter of a 5" girl ever going to be in the upper end of the growth chart, and who cares if she is?!

Of course, I do have a copy of the growth chart and Leah's measurements will be plotted on there. We need to be tracking progress in true enginerd style to set a good example for her.

0 comments: